Sunday, October 31, 2004
All the friends keep asking me why I'm stressed because I'll only be an hour away so if I leave something behind, its not too big of a deal. But part of the reason I feel so stressed is because of how scary this whole thing is. Its hard for people in a couple to understand that I can be happy alone. But even while happy and comfortable in my singleness I still need friends and companionship. And I may not have that in Chicago. So its easy for me to be a little scared about this move. But at the same time, its exciting to make a place of my own.
But for right now, all the scared is at the surface with most of the excited buried down deep.
If I get too busy I may not write again for a few weeks. My internet is going to take a few weeks to work at the new apartment and these next few days may get a little crazy.
So wish me luck.
Thursday, October 28, 2004
I have a few frustrations to discuss:
- First, to all you "coupled" people: would you please leave us singletons alone? I'm so tired of the questions about my love life. I don't ask you about yours. If I have something to report, don't worry, I'll tell you. So until then, STOP ASKING if I have a boyfriend. And really, if you are just getting to know me, my "marital status" does not define me. Even if I were in a relationship, it still would not be who I am. Ask something else. Please.
- Second, I understand that since I now am in the city every day I am going to see tons of bums. That does not frustrate me (although it is a little sad and I can't help but worry about the cold). What frustrates me is the ones that are clearly not walking the straight and narrow. I mean, the obviously blitzed bums. Why would i give you my money? Come on, make a better choice.
- Somehow my desk (or piece of cubicle) has ended up smack in the middle of office politics. I have the whiners on each side of me, who tend to be the trouble-makers. I do not want to be bogged down in the politics but I cannot avoid hearing their bitching. Ugh.
But on the plus side, I am excited to try to make a home out of an apartment in the city. But kids, I'm going to be lonely. I can't believe its a week away.
Monday, October 25, 2004
You know comments delight me, right? And you do realize that anonymous comments are delightfully maddening? Because while I love hearing from you all, the anonymous ones make me think, who's cat is named Kit E' Kat or who's cat is 18? But keep 'em coming, because a little craziness brightens anyone's day.
Another thought I've been having all day is that I need to think of a good cat name or two. For a while I was leaning towards something easy and nick-namey to say. For example, I call my cat Allie "Binker." Now this is obviously not her name, but its perfect for her. So I was trying to think of something that would work right off the bat. My front runners were Leelu and well...leelu. Which I don't really want as a cat name.
I'm trying to find a new idea for a cat name...for example, by looking at Harry Potter name sites...and I'm thinking maybe a Lord of the Rings site? Yes, I am thoroughly nerdy. But not as nerdy as this. Or this. Or this. But that last one does have some good names. Come on Fatty Lumpkin? Perfect for a cat.
Any cat name suggestions? Mildred? Kind of like that....
PS- the new U2 song that's in the IPOD commercial? Does it bother anyone else that he says 1, 2, 3, 14. do you think he means uno, does, tres, cuatro? Not uno, dos, tres, catorce?
Sunday, October 24, 2004
I was watching one of my 800 shows, Lost, on tape earlier today. If any of you know this show, you know that Merry from Lord of the Rings is a drug-addict stranded on the island. Besides the fact that he's cute and his accent is delightful, I couldn't help but notice his tattoo. It says "Living is easy with eyes closed." I quite enjoy the tattoo and it almost made me like him more. I know there are a lot of you out there that would put a tattoo into a "points against" category. But that tattoo seems meaningful to me, because i can't help but imagine that it means something to him. Although to be honest, i think maybe its just a tattoo that the character has, not the real guy (i think dominic?).
I'm feeling crabby again. Its never-ending.
Thursday, October 21, 2004
In case you were wondering, I passed my insurance class midterm with flying colors. And what is shocking is how many people did not pass. The class is pass/fail, and passing is a 60%. Most, if not all of these people are not even paying for this class, their employer is. How can you fail a class that your employer expects you/paid for you to pass? People shock me.
I've decided to chronicle (fancy word for list) the current loves of my life. Alright, really they are just the boys on TV and in movies that I currently lust after.
- First to my mind: Nathan vs. Lucas. Ok, those are TV characters, but I don't know Nathans name in real life. One Tree Hill. Lucas is Chad Michael Murray. All last season I was leaning towards Nathan. Dark, kind of sarcastic and mean AND he has a nipple ring. But this season Lucas shaved his head. Moving on since only 3 people in the world watch that show (me, my mom and med student Janet).
- Zach Braff. Beautiful sense of humor (makes people instantly attractive) but at the same time is obviously able to actually think (see Garden State). The perfect mix. Exactly what I want in a guy (and come on, he's totally cute to boot).
- Matthew Fox. I've become a fan of Lost. New show. Matthew Fox is that old hunk from Party of Five. He's delish. And kind of old. I'm proud of myself for liking someone older than me.
- Ben. Okay, to be honest, I don't even know if thats his name on the show. So its obvious i don't know his name in real life. He's on the new show "life as we know it." Its good watch it. Me and two high school friends usually watch it together...and hes the one whos having an affair with a teacher. But he's totally cute in a nerdy way. At least mine isn't Dino (what a name). Last night I made a beano joke...and it was really funny. Ok, maybe not, but i laughed.
- Adam Brody. Yes I do watch every corny high school shows. The OC, Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, you name it I watch it. But Adam Brody has universal appeal...so cute.
- Topher Grace. But not that 70's show Topher, I'm talking Traffic Topher or Win a Date Topher. Eeemmm, Topher.
I feel really silly. Not because i listed cute boys (although that is silly, that's a totally normal Katie kind of silly and nothing to feel silly about). I feel silly because all of those boys are TV boys. I do very little besides watch TV. I mean, that didn't even include any music boys (although i have spoken highly of big baby head, keane lead singer on this blog before). All I'm saying is that I maybe need to get off the couch.
At work I'm going to start training soon I hope. It will be nice to feel like I could be useful in a way that isn't just entering shit into computers and sending faxes.
If you're still reading, you're a good man. Just one more thing: as a single girl working in the city, i am constantly staring at men's ring finger. It's amazing how one goes from college where that isn't even a valid concern to realizing that i'm old now, and that a wife is a valid concern. And even more amazing is how many cute boys have wedding rings. Its a shame really. The new guy at work has no wedding ring. Hes almost attractive, but he's old. somewhere between late 20s and mid-40s (this shows my utter lack of age-judging skills).
Off to sit in cake-filled, comfy couch laziness. Too-da-loo.
Sunday, October 17, 2004
Wanted to post a hilarious moment I had today and compare it to an old hilarious moment. I laughed my ass off just now, over something so silly it probably cannot be recreated for you all. This may be one of those situations where I tell the story and laugh and laugh, and you are silent and sober, and I end the story by saying "you had to be there."
At Target (love Target) there was a lovely display of pet costumes. Many of you may think, "that's animal cruelty" while others giggle and think of their own pet costume. I talked my mom into a costume for both the cat and the dog. Frankenstein for the cat, devil for the dog. Now, the costume consists of a head piece (which is kind of like a stocking cap that velcros on) and little booties (not to cover the foot, but to go around each leg like a band of frilly fun). If you know my dog and cat at all, you realize that this is not going to be accepted well. Animal cruelty is probably closer than giggly fun. But oh man, was the joy of watching them hate the costumes fun. The dog handled the head piece well, she somehow managed to flip it around so her devil eyes and horns were around her neck facing downwards. The leg-bands...oh joy, for some reason, she could not understand them and started high-stepping. The cat had the same reaction. And watching two animals prance and high step around the kitchen and living room was comedy personified. The cat did not tolerate the headpiece, she immediatly starting batting at her head. Not only that, the minute it got close to her head she flattened her ears so that I couldn't get them through the ear holes (pure genius on her part). Oh god, highstepping dog and cat. So funny.
Haven't laughed this hard that i can remember (i am sure I have but its not nearly as memorable) as when a friend of mine ran full tilt
Or maybe the time that my crazy housemates thought it would be funny to see if very drunken Katie could fit into a wrapping paper holder (like a plastic rubbermaid bin only tall and garbage can shaped to fit the wrapping paper). Not only were we all in lingerie (drunken girls think the stupidest things are funny, like a lingerie after-party), but we all took turns in the wrapping paper bin. I was just the only one to fall over and crash into the table. I had the ugliest bruise the next day, but ooooh boy, did we get a laugh. Please don't read this and think I was a stupid, drunk college girl. I was very far from it, closer to nerdery.
Love the laughter of silly events.
Friday, October 15, 2004
I find several issues with my mixture.
- The girl next door is said to want to surround herself with family (that's fine, i love my family) but it makes her sound like a stay-at-home-mom. And while I might enjoy the "life of leisure" that I secretly dream a life like that is (although, lets be honest, raising a child is more work than going to work), I don't want children. I can't conceive a time when I will want to conceive. Ok...that was lame.
- The girl next door is likely to own a bible??? I believe in life and people, but not in religion or God. I am solidly an atheist and have been for years.
- The academic sounds like an intellectual snob. Not only do I not have a thesis, I don't even know who Noam Chomsky is. Although I read like a demon, about one book in 50 has any intellectual merit (if that).
- Both of these descriptions have contradictions of the other in them. Which really makes the most sense. A walking contradiction. That sounds right.
So, what do you readers that know me think? Girl next door + academic make sense? And if you're a girl (or a secure male) take the test, share your description and if it makes any sort of sense for you in my comments. If you're reading this and its a few days after I wrote it and there's still no comments, take pity and make a comment.
Thursday, October 14, 2004
The cat has been eating her pills. I must say, whoever anonymous is with their 18 year old cat, wow. Thats old.
Everyday I walk over the "Lyric Opera" bridge to get to and from the train station and when buses or large trucks drive over it the whole thing goes kerplunk. It moves and makes a banging shaking noise. Its horrifying. I can't wait to move so I don't have to walk across the bridge.
I boycotted the debate because I hate politics. And I hate the way the debate makes me angry and feel totally helpless. Come on people, why did politics go so astray?? There's got to be some good guys out there that want to run. Right? Even if you hate them all, you should accept your right and "duty" as a citizen of this country and vote. Even if you write yourself in.
My brain is quite dead. I am staring sightlessly into space at this very moment. I swear I'll write to you pen pals this weekend.
Tuesday, October 12, 2004
- My sleep last night was crappy so I am very tired. Plus the disappointment that my high class, expensive latex pillow is actually a neck killer because I sleep on my stomach makes me depressed. I wanted those pillows to be my pillows forever. Stupid stomach sleeping..
- My knee is pretending to be 80 years old. That's right, i ache like an old lady. And for a while there it was a piercing, never-ending ache that was almost cry-inducing. But remember, I am tired. However, I took advil and now its gone.
- The cat hates me. I like my cat a lot. She is old (15) but she has become so much nicer. She's been sick and went to the vet (where my mom tells me she was actually nice to the vet, whom she normally hates and tries to attack). Apparently her liver is failing, her heart rate is too fast, her thyroid isn't working and she has an ear infection. She hates me because of the ear "ointment" and trying to force the pills (still haven't gotten her to eat them, any suggestions??). Don't want the cat to die, it already is sad enough that I have to leave her behind.
- I have a midterm tomorrow. I care very little...but it is important. I've studied 4 of the 5 chapters, its multiple choice, and I am really, really not scared. But what if I do poorly? I mean, work is paying for me to pass this class. On the basis of this class I become an underwriter. And yet chapter 5, "Underwriting" is the one chapter I haven't studied. I want to be done with school. I just need to pass. I quit caring.
To my pen pals....there are a few of you who read this, I sincerely apologize for not writing recently. I was so busy running around and worrying this weekend that I forgot to be a good friend. I hope to write as soon as I get this test out of the way. Sorry to be so blah...but I'm kind of down.
Sunday, October 10, 2004
I do have a test on Wednesday, my midterm, so I should go study. Sorry if i'm not entertaining....it'll be back soon enough.
Tuesday, October 05, 2004
- Today someone at work "atta-girled" me. This phrase vaguely makes me think of a dog that has done something good. Sit. Atta-girl. The context of my "atta-girl" was so opposite of the correct time for it, that next to the shock I felt perplexed rather than angry. In any other circumstance I would have been angry. Here's how it happened: I was in the file room looking for a file. A big man (who is a know-it-all that i'm glad is in the accounting department) came in to get what he had printed. He obviously had forgotten to push print. He asked me if I had stolen what he had printed (in an obvious joking way) and I said yes (joking back). He then said, "atta girl." Now, is it just me or does this totally not fit the situation?? And anyway, who says atta-girl?
- Today while walking down the street on the way to the train, I made up a little song. Here are the lyrics: "walking and eating, eating and walking." That's it. It was inspired by one of the largest people I've ever seen walking at the fastest pace I've ever seen a large person walking. And I thought to myself, well, why is she so fat? I mean, she's moving, she's not just sitting on the couch. And then I noticed the rather large Rice Krispie treat. She was walking and eating. Eating and walking. I've made up a total of two songs in my life. The first was when I was a wee one, when I sensed injustice in my family and decided to vent my frustration by voicing it in song. That song is MUCH more advanced than "walking and eating." The brilliant lyrics: "I'm the Mom. You're the kid. I win. You lose." Catchy stuff eh? The second is about an obese lady and her rice krispie treat. Genius.
- On the same note, I always tell my mom I should be a singer. I mean, I find joy in belting out a song. Although my songs of choice are not necessarily pop star material because they are almost always inspired by a commercial(most recently "A Whole New World." Aladdin DVD coming out..you should really pick up a copy). My mom always laughs and says, uh huh, keep dreaming. I'll admit, I do lack some of the things necessary for this career choice, mainly a super-svelte body, a wish to have everything I ever do be public and a singing voice. The last obviously being the most crucial for a singer. My singing...its pretty hideous. But I like to torture others with it...and I enjoy singing, a lot. So i do it anyway. I'll just never be famous for it (unless I'm famously bad...although who wants to be William Hung, his career really makes me sad).
- Ok, so there's this commercial...its about fresh meat or something. But I am always disturbed because at the end of the commercial the guy says, "Nice choice Mrs. Freshy Freshington" or something very close to that. Now, I've been using this adjective style for a LONG time (and getting lots of shit for it). I mean, anything can be made better by using it...if your friend is speeding, "speedy speederson," if your friend is a drunkard, "drunky drunkerton." But hearing it in a commercial creeps me out. Because that means that its spread from the few people I know to some weird commercial.
- Saw a college friend for lunch. I'll not mention names for the sake of keeping her free from stalkers. But it was lovely. I'm trying to convince her to blog...she's at pharmacy school, a newlywed and commutes 2 to 2 and a half hours everyday to go to school. This is a girl who could have interesting things to say. Are there crazy people on your train? Do we need to worry about a certain drugs terrible, secret side affects? Does the new husband sing in the shower? I mean...it could be great to read. I think if you are reading this and think that my lovely college friend should start a blog you should encourage her.
- As a "technical assistant" I am trying to come up with ways to not suck up, but raise my worth in the eyes of the bosses. I'm trying to make an impression, so they'll realize I'm good and 1)give me a raise and 2)make me an underwriter quickly. My plan is to just use any situation to its advantage. There were two situations this week. First: I noticed that the other 3 technical assistants were all making the same mistake on issuing policies. This was a majorly bad mistake that could seriously hurt the company. Really, there is no choice but to bring it up to the office manager. If I ignored it, everything would be issued wrong. That can't be good for the company and the big boss would have been seriously pissed at us all when he found out. Plus, by telling the office manager, I earn major points for being observant and not making the same mistake. However, there is some anger with the three other tech assistants. They clearly are angry that I did not make the same mistake and are starting to form feelings of dislike. I can feel it. But honestly...not my fault. The second situation: the vice prez of the company comes up to me with a book and says, have you read this? I think you'd really like it. Its so not my kind of book, but hello, the vice prez of the company wants to share a book, I'm going to read it and like it. Gotta brown nose a little (that term, really gross when you think about it).
Off to play endless games of spider and lose many of them while watching my Tuesday night corny, crappy teen shows.
Monday, October 04, 2004
- There is something spectacular about dots. Not polka dots. I'm talking, gummy candy in a box dots. If you have not indulged recently, go buy a box (but be careful, if the place you buy them from does not sell them quickly, the dots may be hard and stale). My sweet tooth's heart belongs to the dot.
- Which incidentally, is not helping the diet. I've been terrible recently. Instead of losing weight or even maintaining a weight, I am in fact gaining weight. I have to get back on the diet. I keep thinking, oh, when I move to the city I'll get back on the diet. But that is a month away, I can't afford to keep gaining weight.
- Boo hoo for me right? But no really, my body is rebelling. Besides gaining weight, I have noticed a lovely wrinkle on my forehead. Its in my nose scrunching area. I think it may have something to do with the terrible habit i have of swiping my nose in an upward motion. Which has given me a scar across my nose, and now a wrinkle? And yet I just wiped my nose in that way just now. Oh well...i guess i'll just embrace my wrinkle.
That's all for now. I know I had many other ideas today, most of which were not whiny in nature, but I cannot remember them because I am space cadet Katie today.
Sunday, October 03, 2004
- Being in a catholic church this weekend was a surreal experience. Besides the fact that i was seeing my first cousin get married (a cousin who i grew up alongside), the whole experience was very interesting. As someone who does not have religion, watching the ceremony and all that goes with it was a little weird. There is something about God and religion that i just don't belong with. At the same time, it was nice to see the cousin get married. I don't know, religion perplexes me.
- I think that in general I am just an awkward person. Have I already mentioned this? Maybe I have...but i just am not good with spanking new people. Give me a few hours and I'll get comfortable and friendly...but right off the bat, I tend towards shy. Sometimes I fear people think i'm snobby or something because i have a tough time talking to new people. I guess I'm just a slow adapter, I have comfort issues.
- All families are crazy. Or so I hope. But mine, well, we have an extra dose of nutty than most. Seeing the family in their drunken glory though...now that is what makes a family function so eventful. The dancing aunts and uncles, the crying and of course the jokes and laughing, makes me realize that anything else would be boring. How boring would family gatherings be without all those hijinks?
- I love Disney World. I'm watching Disney World unwrapped right now. I've been to disney world once a year for about 3 or 4 years in a row now. And this year, I'm breaking that record by not going...isn't that sad??
I'm getting sick...headache and a runny nose, so I'm going to go vege. Although I do have homework....