Friday, October 15, 2004

So sneezy..

I only have one point today and that's just this: you can't really learn much about yourself from an online quiz. My lovely sister had a link to a quiz on her website. I thought, hmmm, yes, what kind of girl am I? I was curious. I mean, her's seemed to fit. And then I got the answer to mine: "You're a hybrid of: Girl Next Door Academic Girl."

I find several issues with my mixture.

  1. The girl next door is said to want to surround herself with family (that's fine, i love my family) but it makes her sound like a stay-at-home-mom. And while I might enjoy the "life of leisure" that I secretly dream a life like that is (although, lets be honest, raising a child is more work than going to work), I don't want children. I can't conceive a time when I will want to conceive. Ok...that was lame.
  2. The girl next door is likely to own a bible??? I believe in life and people, but not in religion or God. I am solidly an atheist and have been for years.
  3. The academic sounds like an intellectual snob. Not only do I not have a thesis, I don't even know who Noam Chomsky is. Although I read like a demon, about one book in 50 has any intellectual merit (if that).
  4. Both of these descriptions have contradictions of the other in them. Which really makes the most sense. A walking contradiction. That sounds right.

So, what do you readers that know me think? Girl next door + academic make sense? And if you're a girl (or a secure male) take the test, share your description and if it makes any sort of sense for you in my comments. If you're reading this and its a few days after I wrote it and there's still no comments, take pity and make a comment.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how I would categorize you. I wouldn't really call you the academic type but you're not really the girl next door type either although that is a little closer to you. I just don't think you fit a category. I think that's a good thing.

    It said that I was Progressive Girl. Not sure how accurate that is. I've never thought of myself that way, but after reading the other descriptions it seems to be closest. I think your sister is definately more the progressive girl than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, so this quiz thing definately did not categorize you at all. i think janet may be right, maybe you are just uncatergorizable - trying to label or fit katie into a box is like trying to count the stars - you can try all you want but you'll never get it all into a nice neat number. and isn't that what we all love about you!? i think so. plus, no one is ever just one thing or one label. that's what's wrong with these quiz's anyways is that it trys to categorize the uncatergorizable - people.

    that being said, personally, that was the best description of me i think i've ever found on a quiz. i was a mix of indie girl and progressive girl. a.) high fidelity is a fantastic movie, i own it. b.) i cant absolutely talk about pop culture for hours (although i do feel i've been losing my touch lately) and i just had the thought yesterday while driving that i will never own a mini-van c.) when i can afford one i absolutly will own a hybrid and a mutt from the pound (you know i love the dogs that everyone else things are ungly). plus a whole bunch of other stuff on there. moral of this extremely long comment: katie = uncatagorizable. alex= fits the mold.

    ReplyDelete