Tuesday, December 21, 2010

There are some days when I really want to talk about work on this blog.  I have almost entirely, if not entirely, abstained from talking about my current workplace on this blog.  It is too easy to find me and connect me to say anything at all anonymously.  And I really like my job - enough that I don't want to ever leave under weird or uncomfortable circumstances.  So here are a few things that I would say openly if given the opportunity:
  • There is such a thing as dead weight.  Firing is not a healthy thing in the workplace, but neither is 50% (or more) of our workers doing, almost obviously, nothing.
  • Communication, even of stupid items, makes the little folks, the cogs, feel loved.  It is a problem if different departments within the same division are given different levels of information.  If X department is told all the details of something while Y department is left in the dark, Y will feel bitter.
  • People can be awesome, nice, great people and still suck at their job.
  • There is a level of respect that everyone should be afforded.  If you get frustrated with your work, it is not helpful nor polite to take it out on your coworker
That all sounds bad, but I really do like my job.  It seems that every job has it's problems.  My last full-time/real job had more problems with the people than this one...and I have to say I prefer it this way.

***

I now have two completely unrelated side notes.

There are weird adult moments involved in living with someone.  Like getting Christmas cards addressed to both of you.  I would like it noted, for the record, that I asked loml if he wanted to be signed on to the cards I sent.  He said "no.  what did i do to deserve that?"  And so, my name only.  More scary than Christmas cards: the check book that came with both of our names on the checks.  We're not even really using it as a joint account.  It's more like...a money pass through for rent.  But it was still a heavy moment.

I unpacked the board games before the housewarming party and now I want to play.  Who wants to join me?  Or us?  Either way works... I have off all of next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment