Monday, December 20, 2010

Speaking of traditions....Santa Claus....

I love Christmas.  I love the time I spend with my family and Christmas decorations and shopping for gifts and snow and everything.  I find it magical at times (fun real mail daily!  holiday train!  happy kiddies everywhere!  wrapping presents with pretty bows!).  And part of that magic, at least for me, is Santa Claus.  I loved Santa as a kid, I still feel a little bit of joy when I see kids seeing Santa.  And honestly, I don't remember being all that distraught when we found out Santa was not real.  I have a bad memory in general, so please don't assume I wasn't distraught, it just didn't make a big enough impact to be memorable.  I remember other events in my childhood far more clearly (mostly physical pain events).  

So here's the thing.  Santa Claus is a lie.  I know this, you know this, we all know this now.  But if I have kids, I want them to know Christmas joy.  Is it possible to have the joy without Santa?  Loml doesn't want to do Santa Claus if he has kids...because it's lying to your children, it teaches them that parents are liars.

But what about the magic?  What shall we do if we continue this thing and take it to a new level involving little ones?  Can I give up Santa?  Can he lie to his kids?

1 comment:

  1. We don't have a say with Ari.

    On Saturday she, unprovoked, said she "missed Santa" and promptly burst into tears.

    To our knowledge Santa never went anywhere as we never really said much of anything about Santa in the first place. We aren't even sure where she came up with her conception of Santa.

    This year though, she will be leaving gingerbread for Santa. Last year she was completely disinterested in the whole process and seemed ambivalent until presents showed up.

    It seems our holiday is a evolving organically, as your new traditions will I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete