Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Thoughts from class day 1....

Group work always sucks but I'm hopeful about my newest group (yes, formed on day 1 of class). But there's a chilling question swimming around in the brain: how can you tell if someone is a drug addict? Sounds pretty intense, but I just got a sort of weird feeling about one of my group members. Let's call him Red-eye McGee. The most bloodshot eyes I've ever seen. And he was sort of anti-social before break...then right after he was Mr. Social. He is also cute. So, how do I decide if he's a pothead (or worse) who got cheerful after the break (from his recent drug use) or if he's just a Chlorine pool swimmer who needed a caffeine jolt? Or, more importantly, how do I decide if I should crush on him or not? Where is www.isYourGroupMemberADrugAddict.com when you need it???

When your academic advisor (and also important figure in the power structure of the school, has been a VP of something or other and is the "founder" of my current program) is your professor, you can't really read through class. And so I am doomed to interminably dull Wednesday night classes. How else am I going to pass the time besides wondering about my group member's drug habits?

I almost wrote a little letter here to a girl I saw on the L. I've always said that "if you wear it, then you're pulling it off". However...this girl was wearing it and really not pulling it off. Because it couldn't be pulled off. Picture if you will....kelly green beret, bright red peacoat, leopard print (fuzzy) pumps...and here's where it gets really bad: leggings/tights with a white background and brightly colored, almost neon flowers (and possibly insects) paired with a two-tier skirt...you know, like the ones we wore as children in the 80's. Top tier: white with big black polka dots. Bottom tier: black with big white polka dots. Conclusion: HIDEOUS.

And as for my shoes...I think right now I'm either going to go with "romp" or "frolic"...

1 comment:

  1. I have see this woman, I think. If its the one I'm thinking of, she dresses like this frequently. . .
    I have and idea. Get the potential drug addict on the train when she's on the train. If, at some point, he leans over and says "Do you see her, too?" it may be a clue that something's up.

    ReplyDelete