Friday, January 05, 2007

Red Hot Box O'Questions...try #2...

So, once again, the question is not all that interesting (a little more interesting than last time though). I've decided to keep up with this for a few months at least - give the box a chance to produce some interesting conversation. If it doesn't happen, the box will be relegated to only an "in person" game (a friend and I answered some interesting questions on NYEve).

do you believe hunting animals for sport is right or wrong?

I think it's absolutely wrong. I understand that marksmanship is a valid sport. But I think it's entirely unnecessary to kill animals because of it. If you want to see if you can hit things, shoot skeet. Or shoot paper in a shooting gallery. Or shoot animals, but with something entirely harmless (it probably exists somewhere). I do think there is some gray area - if you are a true "hunter" and hunt to eat/use the animal...I think that is slightly different. But only slightly. And I still don't like the idea of it all. But I do feel I should have a disclaimer that I am a sucker for all animals - have a serious soft spot there....

In other news, I am actually on the hunt for a new job. I already got a call back about something I applied to this week. And I have a few other applications out there. I think the interview I've been offered is for a job I'm not entirely qualified for. But they have seen my true resume...so it was their decision to call me back. We'll see what happens. Hopefully by the end of this quarter I'll have a job that actually involves web development...

4 comments:

  1. I think hunting animals is weird. I'm not sure it's wrong though. It's not for me. I would hunt animals to eat if that was the drill but to kill something regardless of the skill it might take to do so, is weird. I went duck hunting once and shot a shotgun shack...no ducks. I did get into skeet shooting in college for a brief time. Target shooting was fun. The other thing about hunting is that I have always found the avid hunters I know to be a little scary at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, it's definitely not for me, but I don't think it's wrong. I do think there's a big difference between hunters who use what they kill and those who do it just for sport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The majority of hunters I know actually eat the game they take home...Its also funny that I work with a whole bunch of gun toting Democrats. I woder if they are an oddity, or if there are more of them in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are gun-toting Democrats. I'm actually one of them which, come to think of it, isn't probably something too many people know. I don't hunt animals personally because I wouldn't want to eat them. I'd rather skeet shoot or target shoot. I think most hunters hunt for both sport and food. I also know hunters who donate the animals to charity.

    Humans have always hunted animals. Obviously I realize things have changed but see, now we raise animals for the sole purpose of eating, which I'm not sure is such I great idea either. A big problem in a lot of areas now is that many animals natural predators are gone. Parks and preserves that used to protect animals such as deer are now paying hunters to come in and thin them out because they are destroying crops and causing car accidents.

    ReplyDelete