Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Cocoa and sewage...

Sometimes I forget that I live in Chicago. I'll be walking down the street, idly looking around and I'll suddenly see a big hulking thing in the distance and think, what the hell is that? Halfway through the thought I'll snap out of it, metaphorically smack myself and think, "you DUMBASS. That's the Sears Tower." Yeah. I'm smart.

But I do love this city. I love that on certain days, if the wind is just right, you can smell the roasting beans and Chicago smells like brownies or hot cocoa. I love public transportation (OK, specifically of the L variety. I don't love the bus). I love the access to plays, symphony, art, animals and just all around culture. I love the views (at almost all times).

Of course, there are things I don't love. Like when you walk down a street and there a random pocket of sewage smell. Or when you get on an L train that smells dirty...or like pee. I don't love huge crowds...although I can handle some crowding.

It is interesting the most of my impressions of the city are through my nose...huh....

***Totally unrelated: Do you ever just look in the mirror and think, Wow, I am sloppy? For the past 5+ weeks I just have looked and felt sloppy. I think this sloppy feeling is in direct correlation with the length of my hair. The longer it gets, the less I do with it, the sloppier it looks. I remember, back in the good old days, I used to blow dry every day...a year ago. Now I just let it go...I have become a sloppy student. IThis may also be due to my total lack of concern as far as work clothes go - I found a grease stain on my sweatshirt (noticeable - on the boob) last Friday...and yet I wear that sweatshirt to work everyday still. Sloppy.

1 comment:

  1. I miss living in a city:(

    I go through sloppy phases, too. I HATE them.

    ReplyDelete