Wednesday, November 01, 2006

And off I go...

Yesterday, one of my college friends J, wrote a post about how people who have bugs are gross (of the bedbug and cockroach variety). I have had my paranoid moments with the bedbug thing (Chicago has recently had an influx of bedbugs). In my paranoia, I researched this extensively. The thing here is: you can be the cleanest person in the world and still get bedbugs. They can travel shortish distances (if your neighbor has them...watch out). If you happen to stay in a hotel that has them you can easily bring them home with you. It doesn't take much with the bedbugs. And while I was sure, in my paranoid moments, that I had them, I do not.

And the cockroaches. I want to confess that recently I've suspected I too have cockroaches. At first I was convinced they were just a beetley bug. I mean, if it was a cockroach it'd be the size of my finger, right? No. So I guess I'm gross. My mom is cringing at home wondering where she went wrong. But to be honest, I have NO IDEA where they are coming from. I've seen maybe 2 alive ones. 5 dead ones (cats, you rock!). They are about the size of...a longish pencil eraser. Not big. All in my bathroom upstairs. I've scoured that bathroom. I can't find any in there when I look.

I'll admit that my kitchen is sort of...messy. I'm not a tidy person. If I had ants or bugs in the kitchen I might shrug and say, "yeah well, i sucked at the kitchen." But the bathroom?

The thing is...they must be living in the walls. Which has nothing to do with my cleanliness. I live in an old building. It's not surprising. I'm honestly not even that grossed out by it. Maybe if I see swarms of them, yes. But all I can do is buy some roach motels and hope they carry the poison food into the walls with them.....

So with my first November post I proclaim to the world that I am gross. I have bugs.

UPDATE: I finally updated (mostly) my bloggy bloggertons. Small steps. I imagine that as soon as school is done I will begin changing the whole design of this blog.

3 comments:

  1. During the summer I had both a mouse and a chipmunk in my apartment. I saw them several times idependently and I saw them once at the same time. They seemed to have gone away though. I haven't seen either in month. I wonder where they went...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone has bugs unless they are on the offensive about killing them. In an old building like that killing the roaches would take extreme effort. As long as the bugs stay out of my food and my bed, I will deal with them otherwise.

    I got chewed by bed bugs a month ago when I went to New Orleans for a biz meeting. Beautiful hotel too! They chewed the crap out of my leg. I did not bring any home with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the thought of living amongst these things is pretty gross, but a lot of times it can't be helped so you kind of have to ignore it.

    ReplyDelete