Thursday, November 02, 2006

The 25th annual Katie _ _ _ bir-er-thday...

Title sung to the tune of "25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee." You know you've all seen the commercial. And, in order to make that work, you have to pronounce each syllable in the last name. Which is why three blanks...

So. Happy Birthday to me. In honor of (as Katy says) being a quarter of a century old, I will now do two birthday memes for your pleasure.

The first stolen from this blog. (must warn: this first one is tough based on my lack of memory. My available memory goes back about...5 years)
  1. What is your favorite birthday cake?
    Well, at least this one is easy. My mom has made us some kick ass decorated cakes over the years (I remember a ghost maybe?). But for most of my life we had the yellow Duncan Hines (I think this company is right...but again, bad memory) cake with the chocolate frosting. My mom makes it to perfection. It is delicious. Had some just a week or two ago for my brother's birthday.
  2. What has been the best gift you have ever received?
    Now here I get a little confused. I believe I received some Dots last year. And possibly a vacation to Disney (that was pretty damn good). But I always get presents I like. No bests here, all attempts appreciated and enjoyed.
  3. How did you spend your favorite birthday?
    I'm sure I was young and running around in a grey cat Halloween costume (afterall, with a birthday 2 days after Halloween, the 2 blend together). In recent years I've spent a lot of time on planes on my birthday (not sure why) and moving to this here apartment. Today I go to work and school. I'm not one of those people that treats my birthday like a holiday. It's just a day of the week...where I get older (much like every other day). I do enjoy the fact that the snail mail virtually FLOODS in. At no other time (besides maybe Christmas) do all of my friends feel they are obligated to send me mail. AND I LOVE IT.
  4. Do you make birthday wishes?
    Um. This one is a strain on the memory. Not in recent years. But I haven't blown candles out in YEARS.
  5. Has a wish ever come true?
    Doesn't this question assume you said yes to #4? Which I only kind of did. So....sure, maybe long ago my wish for a barbie...or a cabbage patch kid with styleable hair...but I don't make wishes much anymore.

And the second, which I find much more interesting, is sprinkled all over the internet, but copied from here.

  1. Go to Wikipedia.
  2. In the search box, type your birth month and day (but not year).
  3. List three events that happened on your birthday.
  4. List two important birthdays and one interesting death.
  5. One holiday or observance (if any).
Interesting November 2 events:
  • In 1889 North and South Dakota were officially given statedom (States 39 & 40)
  • Wah, wah, wah....1939...Mussolini creates/proclaims the Rome-Berlin Axis. Axis Powers alliance created. On my birthday. Bbbboooo.
  • I cannot believe this is listed in Wikipedia as a significant event..and for the sheer stupidity of it, I'll list it here: 1998 - WWF hardcore title awarded to Mankind.
Two important birthdays:
  • 1755 - Marie Antoinette, Queen of France
  • you pick: k.d. Lang ('61) vs. Nelly ('75). Honestly thought Nelly was younger, he sure has a baby face.
A death:
  • 1950 - George Bernard Shaw (he was 94!)
And, of course, my holiday observance:

It's the Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos). Your day (it says it's a Mexican and United States-ian holiday) to honor your dead ancestors. And send me a card.

1 comment: