Friday, November 24, 2006

Always a bridesmaid...

You know the saying...always a bridesmaid, never a bride. I briefly looked up the etymology of the phrase online and it comes from a song (Why Am I Always a Bridesmaid) and it's supposed to mean something along the lines of: Frequently second-best. I was totally sidetracked from my original intention for this post by the song (which I find hilarious), so I'll post the words at the very bottom and get back to it..

This next time around will be my fourth engagement as a bridesmaid. And I must say, I'm just as excited about it (if not more so - no offense other brides & grooms - but this is the friend I've had since we were 11...long time). I'm always a little confused by the people that complain about being a bridesmaid. How could you not be happy to be involved in such an important day for someone you love? (I know it happens...people get asked to be in weddings for people they aren't that close to. And obviously when that happens it sort of is an exceptional circumstance, so maybe a little complaining is OK).

It's not often that we get to celebrate in such a way - where we just take a day, get dressed up and celebrate two people (political side rant: in my opinion ANY two people who want a marriage should have one). So how could you complain about the thing? Sure, it costs quite a bit of money to be in a wedding, but what better way is there to spend your money than on your closest friends? None. none.

I'm fairly sure I'll be a bridesmaid again (There is every possibility that I will be a bridesmaid 4 more times yet...or 0). And for each of those times I'll be just as happy and honored as I am now.

Always a bridesmaid, never a bride? Quite happily, thanks....

And now, the song that sparked the saying:

Why am I always a bridesmaid,
Never the blushing bride?
Ding! Dong! Wedding bells
Always ring for other gals.
But one fine day -
Please let it be soon -
I shall wake up in the morning
On my own honeymoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment