Thursday, November 23, 2006

What's a Budgen?...

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays...any excuse to get together with family and eat delicious food is fine by me. Plus, this is one of my favorite times of year (weather-wise). So I hope your Thanksgiving is full of food and love.

I think for the rest of my life, I will always think of London during November. And especially on Thanksgiving. The first (and so far only) Thanksgiving I've spent without any family I was living abroad (in London) for a semester. I had 3 of my close friends visiting (one from her abroad program in Cork, Ireland and two from the US) and we decided to make a real meal. Surprisingly it all ended up being quite delicious (I still remember our mashed potatoes with fondness).

We had spent our day wandering around London and so, rather than actually cook a Turkey (which are hard to come by at your local Budgen's grocery store/convenience store) we bought a roast chicken. Canned gravy. Canned cranberry. Fresh mashed potatoes and homemade stuffing. And drinking all throughout the preparation. My English flatmates (3 actual, 6 in reality counting significant others) cleared out and my American flatmates (2) were not around. So the four of us just laughed and talked and had a real, thankful Thanksgiving.

To J, A and L (two of whom will probably never read this), we'll always have Thanksgiving in 20B Maynard....

No comments:

Post a Comment