Friday, November 17, 2006

All I want is....

Today I am having one of those days. The kind of day where you just wake up wrong - unrefreshed and somewhat angry**. Where the day stretches before you like a vast tundra of unpleasantness. And everything that happens is some kind of insult to you (the man that cuts you off in the queue to walk down the L stairs, the coworker who doesn't ask if you want something from Dunkin Donuts, the smelly garbage truck blocking your walkway while emptying a smelly, dripping bar dumpster etc, etc). Any other day any of these things would be treated as nothing.

So today I'll just quick review Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. I really liked this book. Like all of my reviews I won't say anything highly intelligent here, since I tend to read books for entertainment only. All I can say is that it engaged me and I read it quickly. In a side note I'll say that while I read Day of the Locust quickly, I did not enjoy that one. I guess the difference is that I feel like there was a kernel of truth in Things Fall Apart. In Day of the Locust I sort of felt like it was just a story (and a slightly boring one at that). I would recommend Things Fall Apart to anyone that wants a good read, a real read (this is not a fluffy book).

The completion of the title sentence is "cottage cheese and a Harry Potter movie". I think I'll do both while staring blankly at my schoolwork.

**The reason I woke up angry is that my darling cat, Mona, decided she was annoyed or playful or something at 6:30 am. She complained and moaned (cat speak) for literally 10 minutes straight. I can't figure out if she was just pissed because Boku and I were both still in bed or if she was chatting with her toy. Either way, I ended up yelling at her. Which didn't work (she's a cat, she doesn't listen). I did end up scaring Boku out of bed though (she stared at me wearily for a minute or two and then jumped ship) which did shut Mona up. No hard feelings though - Mona is currently warming my lap.

No comments:

Post a Comment