Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Nerds form hypotheses...

There is this couple that lives in my building. They embody the word nerd. They have the nerd walk, that weird shuffle. And the nerd clothes - he with a terrible t-shirt, acid washed jeans that are too short. She with the generic stripy ill-fitting top and shorts up under her boobs. They look like they are 12 years old. But I have seen them "carting" their groceries (with one of those white old lady push carts) rather domestically...I am certain they are "living in sin." Both of them exhibit what I coin the bland happy nerd smile.

From this couple and my dealings with nerdling undergraduate computer boys (and girls) I offer the following nerd hypothesis.

There are two types of nerds: angry nerds and bland happy face nerds.

I understand that there are some outliers. But let's focus on the two.

The angry nerds are usually loud and totally obsessed with one aspect of their own brand of nerdery. They are one-uppers when it comes to any aspect of their brand of nerdery and sometimes with anything. Most of them do weird things like wear bowler hats or trench coats. Always, always they annoy in class.

The bland happy face nerds are the quiet nerds. The ones that can be seen with a half smile most of the time. For some reason they look a little vacant (writing complex algorithms in their head?). Barely noticeable almost anywhere including class.

Almost every person I can remember from my last batch of classes can be classified. If I had to judge me in class I'd be a bland happy face nerd.

Just FYI, the definition of nerd is: A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.

1 comment:

  1. that's all good, but please do not wear your generic stripy ill-fitting top and shorts up under your boobs.

    ReplyDelete