Sunday, July 02, 2006

Book quest update...

I know I've been a bit boring lately, but we're in the heart of summer here. So I'm either running around and doing stuff like crazy...or alternately sitting doing absolutely nothing. It's been nice to have so much down time. But at the same time, I did get a little bored today. In a month or less, I'm sure I will look back at this day fondly, wishing desperately to be bored again. But today, eh, not so much fun.

It took me 3 months to finish Infinite Jest. I have already finished a Time 100 book since. It took a week and a half? Just goes to show that Infinite Jest really was a long, trying struggle. Sure this book was about 1/4 of the length of Infinite Jest and half the actual physical size (less words on each page) but still. I flew through it. I just finished Under the Net by Iris Murdoch. I actually liked it. It was sort of a caper book, sort of just general fiction.

Anyway, the Time 100 has been increased by 22 books. We added the 30 books that librarians think you should read before you die - in actuality it was only 22 because there were 7 overlapping books and the Bible. Unlikely that any of us would completely finish the bible. So now there are 122 books to read - and instead of the Time 100 I'll call it the Book Quest. So far I have only read 28. 94 left...

At this rate I'll be done about 2 and a half years from now...

1 comment:

  1. If you thought Infinite Jest was bad, you should read Gravity's Rainbow next. Think reading the two of them so close to each other as "boot camp for the brain."

    ReplyDelete