Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Book quest update...

So, since that last post (2 days?) I finished the Alchemist. I made the mistake of reading part of the foreword, which turned me off from the get-go. The foreword was all hype for the book. Ie: I never thought the book would get so big, Julia Roberts loved it, President Clinton was pictured with the book etc. Written by the author. I felt a little pukey reading this guy talk about how big and awesome his book became and how he never expected it.

Then the book. Maybe I'm cynical (ok, no maybe. I am cynical) but I really thought the book was a bunch of hooey(who says that?). I mean, sure the story was nice: a boy following his dream. But it was so Godly and preachy. I mean, it was like being involved in a long conversation with a really dippy philosophy student who just wants to talk about how everything in the world is connected but having no say of your own. You can't really argue with a book as you're reading it. And sure, it's nice to think the world has a soul, that we're all part of the soul, etc, etc. But I'm cynical and it just didn't pierce my cynical shell. It sort of annoyed me.

Now people who read the book and loved it can condemn me. Which could be fun.

Next up: The Lovely Bones.

2 comments:

  1. Beware the Lovely Bones. It sucks, and it's best trick (which is one-note at best, anyway), has since been stolen by Desperate Housewives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. its best trick, that is.

    ReplyDelete