Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Katie's day of offness....

Before I go into all the details of my fantastically errant day, I'll echo my sister's sentiments on the symphony. First I should just say that I never feared I would be bored. Something about instrumental music (I say instrumental because a lot of my past experience with orchestra-type music is of the movie soundtrack variety - so, it's not the classic classical stuff) makes me feel all tingly. I get chills when the strings hit certain notes and feel serious swells of joy/emotion at key parts of the songs. I truly enjoy it. And I did enjoy last night. I must say that while Joshua Bell wow'd me with his solo violin work, I just prefer when the whole orchestra plays together. I like when it sounds strong, harmonized...like all the parts adding to a whole. Sounds like a 13 year old is trying to explain music...but really, that's my knowledge level...plus, I had the day from hell and the brain literally shut off around 12. Oh, and wanted to clarify that the reason I think I'll be bored at Lang Lang is that same idea of parts making a whole....because there is only one Lang Lang. And while I'm sure he'll be amazing....I just like when it all works together.

And now here's the million and one reasons why everything went spectacularly wrong today:

  1. Internet in the apartment wouldn't work this morning or until about 20 minutes ago (which in turn led to number 8....)
  2. The big boss saw me reading the sister's blog at work today. And while nothing came of it and I'm not even sure it really connected in his mind that I wasn't doing work, it started a bad feeling in my gut, a guilty sort of feeling that made my mood go sour.
  3. Free pizza was ordered for all the administrative assistants (happy admin. assistant day!) which means all the student workers would get to eat it. While this sounds good - it sort of made me panic about my social awkwardness and the fact that the little "clique" that I'm supposed to be in (my department's student workers) I am not in, because they are horribly inane and talk about cheating on their boyfriends, versace sunglasses and today, how much they loved Uncle Jessie's music on Full House (you can't make this stuff up). They particularly like the song he sang at his wedding (aaaawww). Anyway, it was going to be socially awkward.
  4. If the pizza arrived on time. But it didn't. I left at one, and pizza was not there yet. So while I avoided that social issue, I also didn't get free pizza for lunch.
  5. At 12, I got a migraine. A viscious, fast moving migraine. I immediately took 4 advil, which does nothing for the vision impairment, so I spent my last hour at work half-blind (for those of you who don't know, when I get a migraine, my left eye gets a huge diagonal slash of white, twinklyness that blocks my vision. I think it's formally called "aura." It's sort of like that after-effect of staring at a lightbulb, only it lasts forever and is much bigger/worse. If you're curious about migraines--which are sort of interesting, I suggest you go here). Working on data while half-blind is almost impossible.
  6. I'm supposed to go straight to class after work, but once I was up and walking the head pain was fairly unbearable. I had to go to my 3:00 class though because the attendance on this particular day is 50% of my attendance grade. So I skipped my 1:00 and went to Corner Bakery and ate soup.
  7. During the 3:00 class, the fire alarm went off. In my ear. Awful for the migraine. While waiting outside, three fire trucks wailed up. My head felt like it might explode. And of course there was nothing wrong with the building. It almost seemed like a drill. Which makes NO sense to me, having a fire drill during midterm week?
  8. Finally, walking home (so excited to get to my couch) I nearly swooned/overheated. The TV told me the high was going to be in the 40's today, and I dressed accordingly <-- I had to rely on the news because I couldn't check my favorite, weather.com, due to #1. When I left class it must have been 60+ and I was sweating. Hot, with a headache...
And now that I have gone through every bad thing I can think of that happened, I don't feel any better. Just like a big whiner. Whine, whine, whine...

No comments:

Post a Comment