Thursday, March 30, 2006

Can be so intimidating..

So much happened today and yet I have a little bit of writer's block. I've been staring at this blank box for quite some time now. I'd love to go on and on about how nice it was to just spend time with my friends, how it is totally scary and delightful to see one of my oldest friends in a wedding dress (has to have the veil or the effect isn't complete) or how it's weird to walk down the street on a beautiful spring day and see snow on the ground only to find out Aniston and Vaughn are back in town re-filming scenes and we stumbled upon the shoot. I am in a good mood from the day. But I don't feel like rehashing anymore than that.

I do feel like saying that this really.....

I don't know what to say. I could get into a whole discussion about how being religious has absolutely nothing to do with your level of morality. I could say that it's really wonderful to know that I am threatening this country with my cultural elitism and rampant materialism. Since those are clearly only things that people who "have no God" are inflicting on the country. Oh, and don't forget my criminal behavior. I wonder, truly wonder, how many people who commit heinous crimes believe in God. Because I tend to think that number would be high. And I can't decide what the friend who posted this article really feels about it. And that maybe makes me feel worst of all...because while I have never, ever been afraid to vocalize my atheism, I also have always assumed that my friends were OK with it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that religion does not equal morality. It should also be said that it is unfair to all atheists as a single minority group. The fact that they are atheists indicate that they do not share a common belief. Now the atheists that we hear about in the news media are the ones that are working with the ACLU to destroy the Constitutional rights of others to worship as they please. I'm not sure why some people have twisted "freedom of religion" to mean "freedom from religion". Unfortunately the actions of these few, publicly professed, atheists is reflecting poorly on all atheists as a whole. Whether or not you believe in God, or even believe in the same God, as I do certainly shouldn't cause me to pre-judge your morality, character, or value. I also detest people that use these polls as an indicator of what all Americans are thinking or feeling, as the writers of this study have done. It's unfair to characterize the thoughts of millions of people based on the opinions of a few.

    ReplyDelete