Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The wheels on the L go round and round...

My first day of school observations:
  • Depaul is serious about their security. I was in the bathroom and there was a nice little security button right inside the door. Then I enter my stall - another security button! I wasn't sure if I should feel secure or scared. Why do we need a security button in every stall? Is that a bathroom I should not visit?
  • I told my sister last night that I would probably get nervous this morning. But I didn't. It felt sort of right. And it's not like I have to get up early...my earliest class is at 11:50.
  • For some reason I clam up in class. I can't speak in a classroom situation. Every shy bone in my body is active. I truly think a bigger school (with huge lectures) was better for me. No pressure to participate. And it's not like I didn't learn.
  • I think it was the first time ever that I was excited about my classes. A good sign?
  • A boy in front of me today clearly had Tourette's. I watched that HBO special about Tourette's but had never actually had any contact with it. He sat right in front of me so it was hard not to notice. I felt a little bad for him because at one point I could tell he was out of control...but then I felt bad for feeling bad...I don't know. Sometimes I have no idea if my response is socially acceptable.
Anyway, school is fine. I have a cute pregnant professor...and out of the two I had today they both seemed fairly effective.

1 comment:

  1. I went to DePaul for grad school and noticed that those security buttons are in the bathrooms all over the campus. Weird, huh?

    ReplyDelete