Friday, August 19, 2005

Avoidance...

The blogosphere is populated by millions of political blogs. I think I read maybe 3 blogs that tend towards political. I guess I just try to avoid writing about it, although its always interesting to read people and their crazy belief they are right. Generally my opinions fall in line with my sister's so why repeat it all? Plus, it is not something I closely follow.

I just finished watching Hotel Rwanda. It was fairly depressing and at the same time, a movie about hope. And I was really quite shamed by it. When that whole tragedy was happening our country and the other "western" countries just ignored it. And I couldn't help but think, if I had been a little older when that happened, would I have been aware? Or like the movie said, would I have just said, oh that's too bad and went back to eating my dinner. I keep making the mental comparison to what we're doing now in Iraq. It makes me mentally splutter (is that a word?). I'm just boggled. Seems like we shouldn't have to justify why we're at war, it should be cut and dry. A million people are victims of genocide, where were we? Our president implies (doesn't prove, implies) there are dangerous weapons and a connection to an American tragedy and the country gets behind a war? It's mentally frustrating.

And while we're on the topic of frustrating, how in hell do you rate a movie on a system of 5 stars that is totally depressing, hopeful, brilliantly done and yet not a multiple watcher?

No comments:

Post a Comment