Monday, July 25, 2005

Living without electricity...

Ok all, I am not having a good day. I will talk about Lolla some other time, but let's stick to one thing: The suckage that is today.

I have very limited time on the internet due to the laptop battery being small and my not having any electricity. None, not a single piece of electricity to be found in this entire building or on this half of the block.

I read an article in the trib that said ComEd only had isolated problems. Ok, so if there are very few problems, why is it taking 20 hours to fix it? Last night they told me I'd have power by 2:30 am. I called them back at 3:30 am to find out that they JUST dispatched a crew out to figure out the problem. That it would be fixed 4 hours at the most from that time. I called more than 4 hours later to find that the problem should be resolved around 3pm. 6 hours from the time of that third call. What are the chances the power will be fixed by then? I'm beginning to lose hope.

You don't even realize how everything in your life depends on the plugs in the wall. It's pitch black in the building (because it's old) and there is absolutely no air circulation. My sister was like, oh just turn a fan on (we were discussing my lack of a/c) and I was like...uh, fan requires electricity. Candles and flashlights is about the extent of it. Oh and cold water. I got maybe 4 hours of sleep last night and realized I'd never make it through work.

As this day goes by with nothing for me to do but read, I have too much time to think. I'm not happy at my job. But realistically, I cannot quit. What would I do? How would I pay my bills?

I feel like I can't catch a break lately. There are 3 buildings in all of Lincoln Park with no electricity. And one of them is mine.

2 comments:

  1. Hubby and I lost our power last month. It was out for about 12-14 hours. Here's what I learned.

    Cold showers suck no matter how hot you are.

    Everything require electricity.

    Going out to eat in AC is like living like a god.

    Shopping malls are always air conditioned.


    My advice, go to a book store and catch up on your periodicals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. c'mon! you know you totally want to check out the 'bad news bears' (if not for the content, then at least for the ac!). it totally sucks to be without E!

    your situation makes me look fondly back on this weekend where my friends and i considered a host of options to stay cool - a movie, a department store, riding around on the el - all in between sets @ lollapollala. ha!

    cheers
    hooizz

    www.xanga.com/hooizz

    ReplyDelete