Sunday, February 13, 2005

Silence...

I tend to worry. I worry about everything (see the blog about skin cancer). I'm having issues staying calm and not worrying while my new cat acclimates to my apartment. Here's how its gone so far:

-When we first got here, she hid in the corner behind the garbage can for a few hours. This corner is near my back door. It must have been cold back there, so for the next few hours she hid in the corner next to a radiator. She was basically on the pipe, so it was my worry then that she would burn herself.

-Finally she came out of the corner and slunk around meowing and moaning. A few times I thought she was going to get on the couch next to me. She wandered, she hid, she rolled around on the shag rug...it was nice. I thought she was doing better and I stopped worrying.

Its now been 24 hours. She yowled off and on for most of the night. Which was hard on my sleep patterns. She hasn't eaten or used the litterbox. I almost wish she had an accident somewhere so that I know she's not making herself sick by holding it. No such luck so far unless she peed under the couch and then what? How in hell do I clean that up? Anyway, for the past 6 or so hours she's been hiding under the couch.

I've been feeling mild panic over the litterbox issue so I went and bought another litterbox and put it in a different location. But in order for this idea to work she has to come out from under the couch. And it really is no surprise she's sleeping all day since she was up most of the night.

In order to make her feel more comfortable I am sitting here in silence. Which is really, really hard. You should try it sometime. I'm going to do some homework I hope and a bunch of reading.

I did some research and i guess it can take weeks for a cat to feel comfortable in a new place. I guess her wandering around and rubbing up against my legs/arms last night was a good step (i've been looking at some websites). Just wanted to share my sickness. Here's hoping she pees soon...(the one success I had last night was showing her where the water was).

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the cat Katie! Be patient, I'm sure it'll come to love you...how could it not? you're gonna be a great cat owner! :-)
    Keep us posted.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete