Tuesday, November 06, 2007

I huffed and I puffed...

And I got my fitness assessed.

It was actually thoroughly interesting and worth the 30 something dollars I paid to be told I'm fat. She didn't actually say that. But she did comment on my percentage body fat. I got on this weird machine (a body composition analyzer) and it basically spit out all this information. That machine thinks my body fat percentage is in the desirable range (I guess the machines like me better than the real people). So, here I am broken down by the Tanita TBF-410:

BMI: 25.2

This is slightly funny to me because from 19-25 is normal, but 25 and up is "overweight". How on edge am I there?

BMR: 1378 calories.

I'm still not 100% sure what this means. But I think that's how many calories I should take in each day to break even. So if I wanted to lose weight, I'd eat less than that and move more.

Impedance: 561 Ω

This means nothing to me.

Fat%: 28.8%

My fitness assessor says to be "fit" I probably want to get to the 20-25% range, that those numbers are more acceptable. I'm not dying or anything. But that percentage could go down and I'd be better off.

Fat Mass: 37.2 lbs.

Yes, that is the amount of fat dragging me down. I'll go ahead and take off a few pounds for my boobs which I can't seem to do anything about...

So. There you go. I also found out that I am much less flexible than I should be and that I cannot do any push-ups AT ALL (ok, I did 5. Then my arms shook and my body screamed a high pitch pain scream, so I stopped). I also learned that the treadmill is my enemy and that I HATE running. However, it turns out that the treadmill and I are better than I thought, because my "vo2max" is actually slightly above average (vo2max is just an indicator of cardiorespiratory endurance). At least one of you is shocked by this and so am I. I guess walking all over the place and sporadically using the elliptical paid off.

Anyway, I now have a weight routine and some advice on what I should do. I'm probably not going to start really trying to get into it until after the quarter is over (I'm deeply behind on my projects and am probably going to do some dishes and procrastinate tonight). So here's what I've been told to do:
  • Cardio 4 times a week, for at least 30 minutes
  • Serious weight routine 2 times a week.
These two can overlap. I'll keep you all updated on my fit adventure. Maybe a few months into the routine I can meet with the trainer again and get assessed again.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a cool assessment. I want to do that.

    ReplyDelete