Monday, August 20, 2007

I am the most boring...

Today I managed what I had heretofore thought impossible: I recreated my favorite London meal almost entirely successfully. While I lived in London, I ate three meals on serious rotation:
  1. Microwave quesadillas
  2. Baguette with garlic butter and BabyBel cheese
  3. Pret-A-Manger BLT sandwich
Obviously number 1 is easily recreatable. And number 3, sadly is not (at least not yet - Pret has spread to New York. Chicago soon?). Number two has been crazy hard to recreate. Garlic butter does not exist in the same way in the US (it's either garlic cheese or garlic & herb butter. I don't want the herbs). And BabyBels in the US are not the same. They are strangely spongey and soft here. And that's weird. But despite that, I had a similar meal tonight - but instead of garlic butter, I used garlicy hummus. And I just dealt with the spongey cheese. And I had sourdough instead of a baguette. And it was delicious.

I also joined the gym today. And I could have started working out today. But I didn't. I'm having iPod problems. And I need to break the chains of laziness.

And I needed to come home and apply for the job I currently have. But instead of being an intern I'll be a real employee. News to come on that front hopefully...

It's also good that I came home, because there's a little seepage/water coming from somewhere...and my floor buckled (taking a floor buckle picture is deceptively hard):


Yeah. Another apartment catastrophe. There's not even that much water on the floor...it must all be under that parquet...

4 comments:

  1. Garlic hummus, huh? Glad we're not seeing you tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garlic butter would be pretty easy to make on your own and you could do it a couple different ways.

    Garlic compound butter:
    1 Stick of unsalted butter at room temperature
    A couple cloves of garlic.
    Salt

    Put the butter in a bowl. Mince the garlic very fine or use a garlic press and add that to the butter. Put in some salt. Mix it all up and add more salt if needed. When it's well incorporated, you can either immediately spread it on your bread, or you can stick it in a container and let it sit in the fridge until you needed it.

    Melted Garlic Butter:
    1 Stick Butter
    A couple clove sof garlic
    Salt

    Put the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Let it all melt down. Here you can either just crush the garlic and put it in if you just want the essence of garlic, or again mince it if you want small pieces of garlic. Add some salt (because a little salt makes everything taste better) After it sits for a couple minutes over the low heat, take it off and poor over your bread (or potatoes, or vegetables, or ice cream! [ok, maybe not ice cream]).

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the garlic butter I would have thought to roast a whole bulb of garlic. Once it is good and cooked through, let it cool down to the point where you can handle it, thus allowing you to squeeze out the garlic cloves. To where then you can mix some room temperature butter with the roasted garlic. I am not sure if roasted garlic is the flavor you were going for, but it might be really really good....Mmmm, I might have to try this myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made some roasted garlic butter last night and it is AWESOME. It took most of my will power last night not to sit down on the couch and eat the entire bowl of butter with a spoon. OMG, so good. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete