Friday, July 20, 2007

Dreadful...

I have never felt so hopeless (weirdly, my fingers just automatically typed hopeful - I guess I type hopeful a lot more than hopeless) than I do watching the documentary "Who Killed the Electric Car?".

Hydrogen cars? Cost: $1mil dollar PER CAR in 2006, uber-expensive fuel., no infrastructure for the fuel, car won't work well in the cold (um, yeah, that makes it impossible), cars aren't reliable and get really small mpg. So why the hell is the government throwing all its eggs in that basket? It seems to me that it's because that means there is still some industry that provides fuel - it would be hydrogen, but it's still fuel.

So why did all the car companies retract their electric cars? Some of you may think that an electric car is a pipe dream....but you may not realize that Honda, Toyota and GM all had completely electric cars out there in the 90's. They were all pulled off the market (literally ripped from the hands of their owners) and CRUSHED. Compacted. Destroyed. Some of them not even recycled. Why could those cars not stay on the road? I just don't get it - I don't get how a technology that was available in the 1990's hasn't been brought back and improved upon. Yes, we have hybrids...but that means we're still dependent on fuel.

300 miles on one charge , 0 -60 in something that sounded really small, these are not useless cars. I don't get it.

How is it that industry grips us to that extent? We can't even give the automobile industry more money (and the electric industry) because there are no cars to buy....

The power of our government and big industry is staggering. And terrifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment