Saturday, November 04, 2006

Knit 5, purl 5...

So...this summer I learned to knit. I have only completed one project since my introduction to knitting - a baby blanket. I ended up giving it to baby cousin E far before I expected to (in fact, the weekend I brought it home to clean it/weave in the ends was the weekend I gave it away. Without ever having washed it. E was only a few days old - I hadn't expected to see her for at least another week or two). Either way, I told you that whole boring story to explain why I only have one picture of the blanket.

And why that picture is not necessarily close enough to see the actual pattern/what I made. Ah well...either way, that blanket took me FOREVER and I was quite proud of it as a first project. Note: pink ribbon is just my way of wrapping the present for E.

My current project is also taking a long time - but only because I now have school. Which takes up a lot of my time. But, here's a picture of my scarf-in-progress:

Pattern from Knitty. My first foray into lace. I've done about 20 repetitions of the pattern (out of a total of 30 - 40 to make the scarf the length I want). Probably 2 of those repetitions were almost total disasters. Out of 20, on my first lace project...I'd say that is pretty great. And I was aware of the disasters as they were happening (ie: uh - oh, I have 30 stitches instead of 31) so I recovered as gracefully as possible.

I have 8,000 different things I want to make...I want to start making socks. And hats (hats!!). But I don't have the skill set yet...so I'm going to have to take another class (at my favorite
knitting store ever). And with school, my time is so short that I don't think I'll be taking a class any time soon. Sad. But next up on the project list:
  • Repeat of this scarf for a friend who requested it
  • Functional scarf for the brother
  • Harry Potter scarf for me
  • Another blanket for another baby cousin due in April (much, much more time to finish it this time!)

1 comment:

  1. Your scarf looks great, I am a pretty new knitter too and I am really impressed! Baby blankets do take FOREVER. Hat's aren't that hard though. There are some really easy patterns out there. If you can knit that scarf a hat should be a breeze.

    ReplyDelete