Friday, September 22, 2006

My love affair with the TV...

I watch too much TV - I'm sure you know this about me. You should all be proud because it looks like this year, at nearly 25 years old, I am finally watching almost all "grown-up" shows. As in I think I only have one WB show anymore and that one almost isn't a teen drama anymore. I thought I'd run through the season premieres that I was looking forward to (or still am) and tell you what I thought of them:

House: This show is one I like a lot because it feels just a little smarter than most shows I was watching last season (think Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, OC etc). I think the premiere was good, but I am a little disappointed already (I think we're three episodes in) because I was hoping that there would be some kind of love story-line this season (possibly triangle? House-Cuddy-Cameron?). So I'll file this one in neutral.

The Class: Thought it looked good. I like Jason Ritter. I like that girl that used to be on Related (which I liked as a show A LOT. Damn you CW). The show itself felt sort of stale. Some of the lines/jokes felt like they were not delivered well/ were cardboardy. I can only hope it will get better.

How I Met Your Mother: I wasn't able to watch this show last year for some reason. Wrong day I assume. But I really like it. It is always funny. And I love Freaks and Geeks boy as well as Doogie Howser.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip: Think this one has promise. I enjoyed it. I can imagine it fitting in among my favorites. I think I need more time to get attached to characters. But you can't go wrong with Bradley Whitford and Matthew Perry - who work really well together. I think maybe Matthew Perry is the "Friend" who makes it after Friends.

America's Next Top Model: Already I think it will be better than last season. Even the twins are interesting to me. Hopefully the photo shoot "themes" aren't too lame, because that can make or break the show. Can't wait for the makeovers!

Grey's Anatomy: SO GOOD. I was afraid, indeed very afraid, that the premiere would not live up to what it could be. But I really enjoyed it and am hopeful for the rest of the season. Possibly my favorite show on television right now.

The Office: Enjoyed it. Would have liked Jim and what's-her-name Jenna Fischer to be together. I didn't watch last season. Or the season before. But I have recently discovered that I do find the show funny. And I heart Jim.

My Name is Earl: I don't know why I have a season pass for this one (oh look at my Tivo speak). I know my sister and her sig-fig love this one. I don't really find the show funny. But eh, I'll keep taping it I guess. I just tried to figure out if sig-fig is actually slang for significant other and didn't find much (I didn't look for long, maybe 10 seconds?). But I did find that my thinking of significant others in this kind of shorthand makes me a sciency geek. Per this blog: "Can I just say that whenever I think "significant other" my mind first thinks "sig fig" as in "significant figures" a la way too many science classes".

ER: Meh. I still watch the show because I love Neela and want her to be with Ray. Some of the stuff sort of bores me. But it was a fairly OK season premiere. Hopefully the whole Sam craziness is done now because that bores me.

Still looking forward to:
Ugly Betty (it's on on Thursdays, but it also shows on Friday evenings on some ABC channel - ABC family I think - so I'll see it next Friday).
Brothers and Sisters - hope this one doesn't disappoint.
Gilmore Girls - Can't wait! My sister told me that the writers for Everwood are now Gilmore's writers, which is very exciting since Everwood was an amazing show. Sad. Will miss it!
Lost - Hopefully no disappointment here either.

Sort of looking forward to: Crossing Jordan, Las Vegas.

Would love to hear any other TV lovers' opinions/disagreements/agreements with my opinions.

P.S. - Guess who's starting to mess with her blog's CSS? That would be me! How do you like my fun with colors? Baby steps....

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE GILMORE GIRLS! I wish I had "sig fig" who would watch it with me;) Hehe...actually, i don't. I watch it alone so people don't talk through it.

    ReplyDelete