Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Making up words is an asset...

Over the weekend I had to take an awful (and frustrating) test for my class. I only have 3 more classes left but at least 1 homework assignment and 2 tests. By Friday of next week all of those items will have to be turned in. Sounds like a crunch, eh? Well it is.

So I was taking this test. And there was one problem I just could NOT do. I was seriously angry and frustrated (possibly the birthplace of my migraine Saturday night/Sunday morning?). I finally hit upon something that was right and in my delirium/ecstasy I used a funny name for a variable.

For you non-computerites out there, when you write java code, each variable is supposed to vaguely describe what you want it to do. Usually you use things like num1, name, size, etc. I called my main variable moolie.

I don't know where it came from. I don't know what possessed me to leave it in the code and not just change it to something much more intelligent like: sortArray (if that means anything to you). But I didn't.

And when I got my test back today, I think it helped. Because I did something wrong on that problem and in his delight/confusion over my variable name, he clearly forgot to deduct any points. The first phrase in the explanation of what I should have done wasn't "-1" like most of the others, but "moolie?".

Yes. Moolie.

And ps - i just looked up moolie to see if it is a word and it is. It is not a nice word - none of the 7 definitions on this site are nice. But you can believe me when I say that I had no idea that the word was real (or slang real. Cause it's not really real). Hopefully the professor didn't either.

2 comments:

  1. You inadvertently upgraded the word moolie! Who said computer geeks can't make the world a kinder, gentler place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that was a fairly known word. Does the prof look at you different now?

    ReplyDelete