Saturday, February 04, 2006

Saturday school...

Currently I am "in class." I'm not really or this would seem fairly rude to be typing out a blog post. However, something nice about DePaul (might just be the computer school of DePaul) is that all of my lectures are recorded: the professor pacing and blabbering, the white board contents (really neat system for this) and the screen shot. So, I can sit on my couch on a Saturday afternoon and watch the class I skipped. And not miss a single thing. Every lecture I attend is recorded like this.

Many, many times I have wondered: why oh why go to class at all? If I were an undergrad, I think I would skip constantly (only one of my courses requires attendance). My personal feeling is that as a grad student I need to form relationships with professors. I need recommendations and such for future aspirations (not only would it be nice to have a professor on my resume, but it would also be lovely to have a professor who really, actually knows me recommend me for an assistantship). Anyway, I cannot believe how easy it is for these kids to skip class. I'm quite jealous. Private schools with loads of money can afford these things.

This class is so boring, I usually read about 25-50 pages of my "for fun" book each class session. Which is more disrespectful: not showing up to class at all or reading a book through the entire class?

1 comment:

  1. U of I had something like you are talking about in regards to the white board. When I worked for the University I saw, but I never saw it in action though.

    ReplyDelete