Thursday, February 16, 2006

Humans...

I should start off by saying that I am not an optimistic person by nature. I don't trust people easily and I have loads of snarky thoughts about people I don't know. But I do tend to be naive. And I sort of feel like most people are innately good. Which is why some things baffle me. Like when someone stole my Dad's Christmas present...but left the box behind sort of like a smack in the face "Ha! I opened your package and took the goods." So here are two things that make me question people's insides:

I often find myself wondering about computer viruses. You know...learning about computers, I think about computers a lot (cats...computers...could I be more geeky?). Why would you design something with the sole purpose to hurt, kill, maim people's computers? In a lot of cases, ruining the computers of the only group of people that can't afford to fix them or buy new...the people who don't have the money for the expensive anti-virus software. The people with no expendable money. That's just shitty. In my mind I sort of (sort of, sort of, only a tiny bit) can justify hackers breaking into evil corporations and screwing around. Maybe because evil corporations are...well...evil. Or maybe because I just like the movie Hackers.

The real reason I felt the need to post about this is because of a comment I deleted from my previous post. It was horrifyingly cruel. It wasn't about me...so this isn't really a personal issue...I just can't believe that someone would post something so mean on my blog. I refuse to go into more details (so don't even ask). It made me sad and angry at the same time. Here's the new rule for comments: If you can't say something nice, get the hell off of my blog.

2 comments:

  1. A friend of mine that works for Google told me once that a large percentage of Google's employes are former hackers that got into Google's servers and such. Google belives that if they can hack their way in then they are definetly worthy enough to actually work for Google. When you think about that it's not too bad of an idea: Have the people that are trying to ruin you to actually work for you. That way you get to keep an eye on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the old days before the net viruses were often made to damage file systems. They were written by geeks who lacked social skills and wanted to make a name for themselves. Since the internet viruses are increasingly about making money. Good old fashioned greed. Hijacking people's computers is a million dollar business. The business of protecting computers is a multi-million dollar business.

    ReplyDelete