Sunday, September 18, 2005

A bit of Sunday disgust...

I'm currently watching a Tivo'd episode of Oprah. I tivo both Oprah and Ellen just in case anything good is on. This episode I'm watching is about the "editor at large" of Vogue. He is a bit overweight, recently lost 35 pounds and is discussing his struggle.

I am disgusted by the way they are talking about "fat" people. How the editor of Vogue (Anna Wintour) hates fat people and everyone that works there is tiny and so skinny because of how much she hates fat people. OK...I feel like never buying this magazine again. This is why we are bombarded with emaciated girls...the editor of one of our biggest fashion magazine hates fat people.

How can you hate a large group of people (most of whom are not fat by choice) because of a physical characteristic? It's like Nazi Germany all over again.

I hereby declare I will never buy Vogue again.

1 comment:

  1. I saw that on Oprah too, and it made me want to throw up. I absolutely hate Oprah for the amount of fat-loathing she herself projects. No matter that she was rich and successful as a fat person, or that she had a wonderful partner. No matter; she was not worthy of anything until she was skinny. As if being skinny is the be-all and end-all of life.

    Any time Oprah does a show about weight I grit my teeth and prepare to be angered.

    ReplyDelete