Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Bonus paranoia...

For someone as paranoid as myself, I actually was quite shocked when the dermatologist actually decided to remove one of my moles. I'll be honest, I was going in there pretty sure that my moles were weird looking, but nothing to worry about.

I got it taken off my back, and the worst part about it was whatever they injected me with to numb the area. It burned. Not pleasant. Anyway, I now have stitches in my back, which presents two problems. First, I was instructed not to get it wet for 24 hours. My back is nearly impossible to keep dry and I may have to go showerless tomorrow. Maybe a quick and weird bath? My hair is going to be seriously gross. My poor colleagues and family. Of course we would be going out to dinner tomorrow. Second, these stitches are in one of the most unreachable spots of the whole body. Lucky for me the very tip of my middle finger can reach it to apply "polysporen". The interesting part is going to be bandaid application. Maybe there are down-sides to living alone...

So in 7-10 days they will come back and tell me I'm cancer free. The "resident" (I was at Northwestern, so my body was poked and prodded by the actual doctor, a resident and a med student) when first looking me over said there was nothing to worry about. Then the doctor pulls out this gadget and tells the resident that the original mole is normal but the color is bleeding on to the skin. This means nothing to me except that the doctor wanted it removed and checked which brings on bonus rounds of paranoia I didn't need.

The positive side to this is that I learned that the thing on my arms is actually a disease I got from one of you, my lovely parents. Something to do with hair follicles. So I got some prescription lotion, and maybe when I wear a tank top I won't worry about my red bumpy skin.

Have to go back in two weeks...using up all my sick days for this stuff. Off to the dentist this afternoon to again get injected. This time though I have to be drilled, which is never fun.

1 comment:

  1. Prescription something or other for these bumps? I'm scared of the doctor telling me I have cancer too, so can I use yours?

    ReplyDelete