Thursday, July 11, 2013

casual friday

My previous employer was pretty laid back about everything - needing to leave early or come in late, timelines, dress code, etc. Currently I'm working at a more rigid company and I never realized how freaking awesome casual friday is. When you actually have to wear business clothing every day (or business casual), getting to wear jeans is like a holy grail. A wonderful bonus. That doesn't cost the employer anything. And my current company doesn't do it. No casual friday.

I think it's little things like this that big/older companies don't realize. Employees run any business, they code it or sell it or represent it. And when the employees are happy, they are loyal. And when they are loyal, that job they do - it improves. Because they really mean it when they do it. And so your casual friday karma comes back to you in a better represented company (and hopefully in dollars).

And yeah, I'm happier in my normal clothes. Dressing up is the pits. I never, ever make contact with anyone that has to judge this company and decide to work with them. Why should I have to look nice every day? It does nothing but increase my dry cleaning bill and make me uncomfortable sitting like a super nerd in my little bullpen with other nerds, coding in front of a computer. And when I'm uncomfortable, I work less...because I'm busy adjusting my dress or yanking on my pants that are riding up. Man I miss casual everyday, let alone casual friday.

CASUAL FRIDAY NOW! BUSINESS CASUAL NEVER!

(is this somehow distasteful for me to re-appropriate that chant for my stupid work gripe? yeah, probs, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment