Thursday, February 21, 2013

For some reason, loml decided to go back to the very beginning of this blog and read every post over the last few days. He had questions. And his reading forced me to go back and revisit some of those times. I started this blog nine years ago. NINE! What do I think I've learned in nine years?

I think I've grown up. Possibly in a sad way depending on who you are, but in a way I don't regret or wish were different at all. I don't think I have such silly tangential thought processes anymore. A lot of my brain power is going toward planning for the future and work. I think about code a lot when I'm not actually at work; sometimes even just in the periphery of my brain (I solve coding problems or prove my code bad at home in the evening without even looking at it). If we should decide to have kids, I think the little time I do devote to silly thoughts will probably dry up altogether. But I don't feel badly about it. And I kind of expect to get it back in 20-30 years when I retire.

I spent a lot of time, when I was single, being lonely and trying to justify it. I still think I did the best I could for myself at the time. But I don't think I learned as much from it as I should have. I'm still learning from it. And I'm sorry to my single friends if I bring up dating too much, that's unfair. Katie from the past is annoyed with attached Katie. Being in a relationship isn't the most important thing.

I am so lucky to have found a job that challenges me. Phew.

Being a homebody is different than being a loner which is different from being antisocial. I need social interaction but I love my house.

I'm sure there's more. But right now I have to go finish packing some hotel favor bags - I've got a wedding reception to pull off this weekend. Bite me winter storm Q (stupid name for a storm anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment