Friday, December 03, 2004

just let go...

I've been thinking a lot lately about growing up. Its always so scary to move on from high school to college, because you're a "grown up." Or even turning 21 (which i managed to do with particular style spending hours and hours at Heathrow airport trying to get to Rome on a plan that kept getting delayed). Lately though, I really am growing up.

Everyday on the "L" there are dozens of people that could be roughly my age (lets have a wide range here, between 22 and 30). All of these women look so turned out. In their nice coats, boots, pretty work bags, slick hairdos. They all look old and they all look the same. And then there's me. I have reverted back to a back-pack, i wear sneakers to work and then change, i still have a fuzzy ball on my hat and my coat is mostly a warmth provider and not a fashion statement.

I used to think that this fashionable young working Chicago woman was what I wanted to be. But i don't think i'm capable of such a huge change. I guess I just cannot imagine having aching feet, a freezing head and a backache every night just so that I look good on the ride to and from work. Sure, when i get to work, it's all business. I put on the nice shoes, take off the coat and hat and stow the backpack. Maybe if i had the other mentality, the one where its more important what you look like than how you feel, maybe then what?...maybe then someone would pick me up on the "L"?

I have always been an odd one. I guess certain things I take very seriously, like my work ethic and certain things i don't, like the new trendy coat style. I cannot imagine going on a four hour lunch with a colleague and coming back a little drunk (it happened) or being so unable to do my work that i lie and blame it on someone else (also happens). I take pride in my work. I don't particularly enjoy drinking either, which does sometimes categorize me in the "old lady" section. But at the same time, I love stupid things, like Chicago lit up for Christmas, Harry Potter (oh the third movie was a thrill tonight),my future cats and probably the musical i'll see tomorrow night that is all Disney songs (got some ridicule at work for that, but i stood my ground, i'll like it).

Its just interesting to think that if i wanted to, if i truly tried i could be dressed to the nines on the "L", but screw "What not to Wear," its all lies. That stuff isn't comfortable.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree. But I still sometimes really really want to look sophisticated. I think it's all about being what you're not. It's like, dress-up. Sometimes, when I see those girls you're talking about, I think, ewwwwww. The make-up, the coat, the heels....there's no character in that. That's what everyone does; that's what you're "supposed" to do. It's too processed. (But like I said before sometimes, it's fun to play dress up.)
    Anyway, I think it's better to know who you are than to be something you're not just to get hit on.
    And by the way, what do you want for x-mas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good just to be yourself.

    If others can't like you for the way you are, that's their problem. Trying to conform to a certain image ... especially on the commute to work... is crazy. Spending $$$$ on the latest and greatest, hippest, trendy clothes which will be out of fashion in about 3 weeks seemingly... what a waste.

    Oh, have fun at the disney thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't grow up... its very highly overrated. As someone that stopped being a kid at 12 or so, I can tell you that 38 years of adulthood can't begin to compare to the couple of years I remember of being a kid. Don't give it up... ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, bad math... I meant 28 years of adulthood...

    Still...

    ReplyDelete