Wednesday, December 13, 2006

So really I'd better scurry...

Today I saw the mysterious and illusive CTA Holiday Train. I only saw the very back end of the very last car. From the inside of the grocery store. Yeah - not the best sighting, but a sighting nonetheless. The train is nearly impossible to ride (at least for me, in terms of my daily train usage and even my shopping trip usage). Maybe sometime in the future I'll have to try to make a special trip just to ride around on the holiday train. Oh the lovely scene that's unfolding in this little idle mind:

The city is covered in a blanket of snow. Big fat flakes are falling. I'm riding the holiday train towards the loop at night. The view is spectacular (as is the train). Sigh. Lovely picture.

And now, to jolt myself out of my stupid winter/holiday funk, I'm going to try to be cheerful for this holiday meme (friends that are awaiting return calls from me...I'm planning on using the phone tomorrow. Al if you're really busy we should be able to connect Friday):

  1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot Chocolate. With marshmallows. And whipped cream (but only if it's real - I am a whipped cream snob).
  2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Possibly one of my favorite parts of present giving is the wrapping of said presents. I usually get made fun of for my elaborate bows and such. But that's just jealousy...
  3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? I grew up with colored and am loyal to colored. I can imagine a day far off in the future where I will fill my gorgeous brownstone with not one, but two trees. And on that day, I will possibly have an "elegant" tree of white lights. But as of now, it's all colored all the time.
  4. Do you hang mistletoe? No. I can't even remember a time when anyone in my family did. But it is something I'd like to do eventually...
  5. When do you put your decorations up? I'll probably end up doing it the weekend after Thanksgiving every year from now on...
  6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? How can you exclude dessert? That's dessertism. Or something. I don't know, I like stuffing. But I like the Italian Beef too.
  7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? Christmas Eves at Tootsie's. That year we couldn't go anywhere due to a snowstorm and ending up eating homemade pizza and watching movies.
  8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I don't know the answer to this. I vaguely remember finding out at the same time my sister did. But I have no idea when or how.
  9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? From the greater extended family, yes.
  10. What kind of cookies does Santa get set out for him? Santa has not been getting cookies for years and years and years. But when he did? I don't know, I have no memory. Jingles? Chocolate Chip?
  11. Snow! Love it or dread it? I love it and I dread it. I dread it when I have to get somewhere (even walking...). I love it when I can just watch it fall and be white and glistening and smile...
  12. Can you ice skate? Yes. Although I'm not the biggest fan. One of my childhood memories involves my cousin's toepick being stuck in my thigh (still have a scar). Here's the most interesting part though: I remember falling on the ice all tangled up with her (I'm sure we were doing tricks). The fall smarted. I got up and kept skating. A little later I went to the bathroom and found a gash on my thigh with quite a lot of blood. I guess I was cold, my thigh was numb...toepick pain was dulled. My scar is still present...I do remember it used to even have jagged edges like a toepick...
  13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Um, no. I've received a lot of good stuff over the years. I like a lot of my gifts still.
  14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Spending time with my family. Giving well-liked gifts. Seeing the friends.
  15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? I really like rainbow jello. And who doesn't like Christmas cookies? And that chocolatey frozen pie.
  16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Extended family all getting together on Christmas Eve.
  17. What tops your tree? A delightful feathery star. One of my best IKEA purchases ever.
  18. Which do you prefer Giving or Receiving? Well I love getting gifts (if you say otherwise you're almost certainly lying). But I also like the joy of seeing someone genuinely like their gift - and I know it's hard sometimes, but I like when they genuinely like their surprise gift, one they didn't know they were getting.
  19. What is your favorite Christmas Carol? Mmm, Nutcracker Suite maybe? Or...does that song, Baby It's Cold Outside count?
  20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? Yum! But really only the classic tasting ones.
I'd love to see you all do this meme! Even those of you who never blog....give all your readers a happy little Christmas present/blog post....

No comments:

Post a Comment