Friday, March 17, 2006

But when I think about it...

I was talking to my friend, Alex, the other day over some delicious samosas when I realized something. It's been with me for a few weeks. Slowly percolating. And bam, in one instant I voiced something which truly scares and excites me. During these next two years, everything is going to change. Life as I know it is going to change. Starting 1/2006.

Never have I felt it so keenly. I told Alex that on Monday. And on Friday it exploded in my face. Without going into further detail, I'll just say that for the first time I really feel like an adult. Even though I'm watching Harry Potter. But like Hermoine just said, everything's going to change now isn't it? Yes, I think it is.

Along that line, there has been a fairly interesting comment thread over on J's blog. It's starting (if it wasn't already) to get a little ugly. However, there is something that J's hubby said that truly saddens me. Something which I imagine he truly believes. It has nothing to do with politics (although the comments do). Here are two pieces of his epic comment: "A person really figures out who they are socially in their late teens and early twenties, after that they are going to be pretty set in their ways. For the most part what you are is what you are until you die." I am not anything like 16 year old Katie (socially, emotionally, physically, politically, sexually...you name it). I think my good friends can testify to that. And most, if not all of my friends are nothing like their 16 year old selves. I believe that in 8 more years, I will be nothing like 24 year old Katie. I will have the same friends, the same family...but I will have changed. Because life changes you. And if it doesn't, if you are truly static, that is sad. Without change, what is life? I like to think that all of my friends are dynamic. Changing with the world, not watching it all happen around us. Embrace change, embrace life.

Hope that wasn't too weird. Here's a thought that is not preachy or even really very serious at all: If people can't change then we would have no born-again Christians (or we would, but they would all be lying....which isn't very Christian, now is it?).

No comments:

Post a Comment